Maggie Lou and Phoebe Jane

Maggie Lou and Phoebe Jane

Monday, May 10, 2010





I got back on the bike today and rode to work. I really like riding my bike to work, but I realized today that I am not a cyclist. I think if more people realized they don’t have to be cyclists to enjoy riding their bikes more and driving less.
I can’t stand the colored spandex outfits! I can’t do it. I don’t want to offend any of my cyclist friends, and you are many, you may love the neon spandex and cyclist jersey’s but its not me. I am more of a cruiser, I have fun on the bike. I want to be comfortable and I would rather take twice as long to get somewhere on my cruiser than get on my road bike. I am more into my blue chrome grips than clip in peddles. I don’t want to have to wear two kinds of shoes when I ride☺. I want a big fat cushy seat not a tiny hard one (that’s what she said)
Today I rode the bucket bike, (check out www.madsencycles.com to see my bike). I strapped my Ipod speakers to the frame of my bike and listened to Led Zeppelin on the way to Trader Joe’s. So I know it is bike month and wanted to encourage you all to make one less trip with your car and take the bike out! Remember you don’t have to be a cyclist. Just think back to when we were kids and all equal. Just ride your bike, loving the wind through your hair, maybe put a playing card in the spokes (so it sounds like a motorcycle)will help, or even tie some streamers to your handle bars




4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice bike sticker

roxbanta said...

I agree you don't need to be a cyclist to ride your bike, nor a yogi to do yoga, nor a drunk to enjoy a good beer :)

As a person who owns spandex and other odd looking cycling gear, I feel the need to defend my species a bit. They often aren't worn to look cool. It's a comfort issue. Crotch pain is not cool. That's right. I just typed that word.

This makes me think of the battle between gear activities and non gear activities. It's fortunate that yoga clothes happen to make a girls ass look good, and now they are worn by non yogis all over the place. Maybe one day the cycling community will catch on. For now, I am off to ride to Gus's on my awesome road bike with my work clothes on, sans clip in shoes :)

Matt said...

Good points made Rox, which reminds me I want to come do yoga with you. I have much love for the entire cycling community! Just wanted to remind those intimidated by the gear that you don't need it, but I always have the crotch pad underneath my regular shorts! Does anyone know if they make regular looking shorts with the crotch pad?

roxbanta said...

I think mountain bike shorts usually have a pair of lycra shorts (with padding) underneath a pair of baggy board looking shorts (which are more reasonable to wear in public). That's what I wear on longer rides. Got mine from REI. There's a shortage though of decent looking cycling/commuting clothes in my opinion.